Sunday 7 April 2013

Rainbow Quilt... Part IV... Complete!




It's finished and I am proud to show you the last stage of the making of my Rainbow Quilt!

First off, after finishing the formation of the quilt, I used my organic cotton batting and some REALLY fluffy (not organic) wadding. I created a batting-wadding-batting sandwich and then placed my front and back onto the sarnie. At this point I would just like to confirm that buying organic is really worth the extra cash, its luxurious and chemical free. I just couldn't source any organic wadding that would arrive in time, so I used some standard wadding from my local (and only) fabric shop I have available to me here in the West of Ireland.




When I had pinned everything together... I made, by hand, my own bias tape. I wanted to make 60mm bias tape, no bias tape maker goes up to that size, so I sat and made my own. Firstly I cut 12 cm strips, ironed them in half and then, like folding a letter... I pinned the bias together. Ironing as I went. It took some time and was a pain to do, but this is exactly the size I wanted- so worth it, ultimately.



I then pinned as I went, bevelling at the corners as I went. This bevelling wasn't as bad as I had dreaded and really looked the part, proper quilting techniques on show...



Then, with a deep intake of breath, I sewed it all together, ensuring that underneath of the bias tape was being caught as I went, which it was... yay.



I struggled with the tension of my Toyota; it seems to decide to change the tension randomly as I went along. I stopped, unpicked and re-sewed, however it did it again. In the end, I went with the flow of the tension changes and promised myself that when I get a new machine, I will go back and sort this out. It's actually not that bad at all; I just can't get it perfect which I always strive for. 

So here we are... this is my finished quilt! I am so happy with the finished size, colours and how the Klona Tan bias tape (and I also used this for the backing) has complimented the white and every shade of the spectrum of this quilt. 



The finished measurements are 110cm x 110 cm. Little lady can happily be crawling on, dribbling into and cuddling this quilt until she is well over to be saying 'I don't like it' (!)

So, Rainbow Quilt... done! I am really happy with the resources that I had available to me:

The Sewing Book by Alison Smith
The Ultimate Quilting Bible by Marie Clayton 

.... my book recommendations are always on the left of this blog on a slideshow, for your convenience!

Until next time…

Bundana

X


23 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks absolutely gorgeous Cathy - a huge success. I'm sure your little girl is going to love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This must have been so rewarding, looks beautiful! I have always been tempted to try quilting x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Really love all triangles and the colours! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much! The moment I saw the design, I knew it was for me! Next is hexies, I am also in love <3


    Thanks for your comments!


    Bundana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lola, you must give it a go... it's fab!


    Bundana x

    ReplyDelete
  7. How beautiful! The little lady is going to love the quilt - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's BEAUTiFUL! :D I love your photos too miss! :) Glad to hear you owned beveling :) Nice job woman! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty!! I love all the colors. I'd love to make a chevron style quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hats off! It was really worth all the trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ozzyblackbeard7 April 2013 at 20:58

    This is absolutely gorgeous!! A family heirloom, if ever there was one! Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty, love the different patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness, this is such a beautiful quilt - I've always wanted to try making one, and yours is super inspiring!

    Awesome job - quilts are treasures that you're sure to keep for years and years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my but that is heart stoppingly gorgeous Caffy!! I think it's the rainbow colours on the white, looks stunning! How clever

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so lovely! Am sure it will be a big hit with the little miss. Very inspiring too - I have some fat quarters to be made into a quilt but as I've never made one before I'm not sure where to start. Think I just need to get on with it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So rainbow-y and wonderful! Love it <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great result! The binding frames the colour beautifully

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, this is really brilliant. You should be very proud of yourself. I have all the fabric for my first quilt now, very excited to start. Well done girl! xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! This is really pretty. I love how you kept the colors the same in each row, but switched up the prints. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh I do love the white background! The colors pop!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very pretty! I always make my own binding strips! I don't find it to be that difficult and it makes the possibilities more endless :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous! Love the colour scheme!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the colours! Really bright and she will love it! My 3 boys trail their quilts around to build dens, cuddle under and use as cover whilst having Nerf Wars!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment!