Thursday 4 April 2013

Rainbow Quilt... Part III. The finished block

Little ladies play mat is coming along nicely now, they whole project has been very streamlined and fun to make and with working full-time, a dog to walk and a fiancee away- bite-sized chunks of sewing if the ideal.

This is the third section of the quilt, it's the final construction of the blocks and the rough formation of the quilt, or how it will be formed.


This is how the 7" squares were looking in part 2, I could have left the squares looking like this. However, I would have known, forevermore, that I could have done more with the quilt whenever I looked at it and I'm simply not one of those people who can do that, so I am pursuing with the original plan of the full 'Crayon' block.


I cut the two identical coloured pieces from opposite corners so that it left a triangle with half white and half printed fabric. Because of the nature of the blocks- there was two of the same. I then swapped them over to create a 7" square with an alternating pattern...



Because I ironed all of the squares the same; I was able to piece the pieces together easily and match perfectly the halfway of the block and it was very obvious with right-sides together where the pieces joined.



After doing this 50 times and pinning and tidying as I went, I had a huge yet beautifully impressive pile of blocks!



Using a 1/4" seam foot, I then was quickly able to get through the pile and create... the finished block!



This is how the blocks will be matched- with no two coloured pieces or white pieces from other blocks touching....



Next is the final episode. The wadding, batting and bias-taping! Then, finished.


Bundana
 
X

7 comments:

  1. This looks lovely - can't wait to see the end product all finished. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's going to be beautiful at the end, can't wait to see it x

    Check out my new blog: jewelheritageblog.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. SincerelySammie5 April 2013 at 09:05

    I've always wanted to make my own quilt! I have a sewing machine that's collecting dust...thanks for the inspiration!

    http://www.sincerelysammie.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. No problems!


    Thanks for the comment and stopping by!


    Bundana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not long now! Love your blog :D


    Thanks for the comment and stopping by!

    Bundana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nearly there Sally, thank goodness... labour of love... to say the least!

    Thanks for the comment and stopping by!

    Bundana

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this! I haven't ventured into quilting... I am still selfish and just want it to be something I can wear if I sew. Well done. Can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment!