Monday 1 April 2013

Rainbow Quilt... Part II. The cutting and planning

I have come to a decision upon the bias-border of my quilt, it's going to be neutral. I was thinking a condensed rainbow patterned fabric like:





However, I think this may date very quickly. So, I have decided to use some of the Klona Cotton that I bought far too long ago and use that as a contrast to the rainbow colours of my fabric but also to compliment the white.









So far, I have diligently followed the instructions from Sew Mama Sew. The instructions from there are great... I am going to show my process of making this quilt. I truly believe that if you make clothes, the scraps are often depressing to see! What do we do with them when we make just clothes? I am in awe of making this quilt! I am using so many scraps that I had no use for before (unless for the occasional pocket lining) and it's so satisfying... no-one likes to waste things, I never throw any of my scraps away that are larger than 25x25cm. 

This time round, I have...
  • Cut 25 rainbow 7" squares
  • Cut 25 white 7" squares
  • Pinned them together (right sides facing)
  • Drawn a line from one corners of a square to the opposite

  • Sewn 2 lines 1/4" away from this line on both sides





  • Cut on this line, this then creates a full 7" square again but with a white half and coloured half.



I then ironed the 1/4" seam allowance towards the coloured half. I love the drastic white against the 'Taupe' brown of the Klona Cotton...





Really starting to come together and looking how I wanted it to in my head- going to be so bright and fun. Having done some 'earth-mother' reading; I found that having a piece of soft fabric, like a t-shirt, blanket, towel etc that smells of you- will settle your baby when they are a bit restless and upset. So I will keep this blanket with me for a few weeks before bambina is born in the hope that it will settle her at times!

Next up is slightly more cutting and then the construction of the whole quilt and the batting, going to still pursue with my plans of making this a super thick quilt that little lady can play, crawl, cry and sleep on when she is on the floor. I have my batting and wadding at the ready, looking for some nice hand quilting techniques. I'll get photocopying my templates from my fantastic quilting book. I reviewed it here. It's square too, so will look like a playmat, even though we can pick her up and wrap her up in it in the wintertime.

In other news...

  • I have a huge selection of felt squares coming to make some booties and letters for bunting
  • I am destashing everything in my sewing room, a frugal few months are ahead as we save for little lady
  • I'm giving birth in the UK, yay! Coming over to the UK on the 22nd of June well in time for my delivery date of the 8th of August

Coming up...

  • Maternity jeans make
  • Knitting a beret
  • Bunting
  • Colette in to a maternity pattern... undecided as to which pattern...?Eclair?


Bundana
X





9 comments:

  1. Wishing you the best of luck with your first quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thank you for popping by my blog, it's so lovely to meet another sewing enthusiast. Enjoy your first quilt, I'll be reading to see how it turns out. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll keep you posted :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting! Looks like it is turning out lovely so far. It may be a life goal of ours to make a quilt some day, we just need to make the time to put into it. Thanks for sharing! Xo, M&K at brewedtogether.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a tutorial ninja dear! :D If I ever get an itch to sew up some blankets or clothes, or baby items, etc. ^-^ I know where I am coming first ;) Looking forward to future pics of this one! :D

    Best, Dawn
    @http://lostsentiments.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Francesca Giusti6 April 2013 at 21:13

    love your blog! It's so nice!!! I follow
    you!

    Pass to my blog and if it likes you follow me too, I will be
    so glad :D

    Kisses

    http://francescagiusti.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always been so fascinated by quilting, but feel like it takes a lot of technique and patience to make it look nice. Maybe one day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you enjoy making your first quilt, the style you have chosen is lovely! And all the best wishes with your maternity sewing.. and of course the remainder of your pregnancy :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment!