I used the Simplicity Pattern Runway 2176
The pattern is fine- it would be great in a Silk Habotai or Shantung, but that is not my day-to-day type of fabric and I mistakenly took a nice cotton and used that. Mistake. It was too thin and it just doesn't work and looks quite dated on me, like I have attempted to make a 1950s day dress, badly.
All is well, I shall dismantle and reuse. In reflection, I have used a shirting cotton for a dress that needs a heavier drape.
However, on the bright side, I am happy with my:
If there ever is to be a next time, I must:
Shorten the skirt of the dress so that the skirt band sits above the knee or just on it.
Lengthen the bodice by 3cm to allow it to sit on my waist and not, as now, unpleasantly below my ribs giving my figure a most unbecoming silhouette.
This dress will be dismantled and reused, fear not!
In other news:
I am working on my 4th project for friends and friends of friends, word is getting around! So far I have: taken up hems on trousers, taken down hems on trousers, adapted a bargain maxi dress to fit a 5'2'' lady, totally revamped a bridesmaid dress and now I am making a black slip for a lace dress.
It's nerve-racking working for someone else and then giving it back and CHARGING them- but so far, so good.
Now to work on a less 'icing' dress and more of a 'cake' dress.